Monday, November 21, 2011

Little girls don't know how to be sweet girls


There are a lot of girls out there with very little self-respect. But honestly, who's to blame them? In a world where respect of yourself and others is being left behind, it's no wonder this is an issue. I've noticed this lack of self-respect become especially damaging when it comes to being in a relationship. Boys aren't brought up to treat girls as ladies, and girls aren't brought up to treat boys with respect and kindness.

As Erin McCarley puts it:

Little girls don't know how to be sweet girls.
Mama didn't teach me.
Little boys don't know how to treat little girls.
Daddy didn't show me.

We've lost sight of chivalry. I personally know a handful of guys who are true gentlemen. They treat the women around them with the utmost care and respect. After being around them, I walk away feeling completely different. I feel important and respected and cared for. Even if that guy isn't a special someone, I still feel that way, and it still means a lot. 

I'm old-fashioned, as I'm sure you can probably already tell. But honestly, is it so old-fashioned to expect to be treated with respect? I don't really think so. I'm not talking about 'Mr. Darcy' old-fashioned even. That sort of guy is fictional and unrealistic. But there is a way to be chivalrous and a gentleman in this modern day world.

In You've Got Mail, Kathleen (Meg Ryan) says:

“A REAL man, the kind of man a woman wants to give her life to, is one who will respect her dignity, who will honor her like the valuable treasure she is. A REAL man will not attempt to rip her precious pearl from it's protective shell, or persuade her with charm to give away her treasure prematurely, but he will wait patiently until she willingly gives him the prize of her heart. A REAL man will cherish and care for that prize forever.” 

I see time and time again girls allowing guys to walk all over them. To treat them as if they're dirt. To use them emotionally and physically. And that will never change, until girls start respecting themselves. Seeing that they are jewels who should be treated as such. 

I was on the local train recently with a friend and there was a group of middle schoolers on it. There were no seats available, so my friend and I had to stand. But one of the little boys got up and offered his seat to her. It completely made my day. Even though the seat wasn't offered to me. It showed me that boys are still taught to be gentlemen. 

Here is an article I read that you should check out. It is titled 'You are not "crazy" '. It's a message to women from a man. Incredibly touching and encouraging. 

I wish that more girls respected themselves. I wish that more guys respected girls. It's hard to come by, but when you do see it, it's like a breath of fresh air. It just feels so right, because that's how it should be. Girls should be shown more respect and treasured for who they are more than just what they are. 

I'm not throwing guys under the bus here. Us girls aren't helping them much. Girls talk horribly of guys and treat them with little respect. They encourage the view that boys are stupid and animals. Which is....well.....stupid. So really, it's just overall a very vicious cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment