Friday, November 18, 2011

Be Still

"Be still and know that I am God"
Psalm 46:10
I mentioned this verse in my post a few days ago. When I say it's my all time favorite verse, I mean that fully. The Lord really showed me exactly what it means. It's a simple verse, for sure, but sometimes simplicity can be the most meaningful and deepest of things. 

It was put on a whole new level for me this past year. 

I'm a pretty emotional person. Not just with crying though. I just feel a lot of what is going on around me. I get caught up in people's problems and struggles very easily. Random strangers will come up to me and share their story, and before you know it, we're both crying. It's been very trying on me. It used to really weigh me down. I would take all those problems on myself and try to 'fix' it. I always felt it was my responsibility to help them in every possible way. I still struggle with this. But sometimes, the best thing you can do for a person is 'be still'. Let God take over and fix it Himself. 

But my being emotional doesn't just apply to other people. It applies with myself. 

Imagine a bunch of caged up birds. There they sit, squished and smothered. The cage is never big enough to fit them all. But once they're released, they go everywhere, and you'll never get them back in that cage.

Those are my emotions. Once they're released, I get overwhelmed and confused and depressed. 

But the Lord has been changing that. He's teaching me to 'be still' in those moments. To listen and watch. Being still emotionally and mentally has been such a foreign concept for me. It's hard to try to gather all those 'birds' back and make them shutup. To just rest in the peace and stillness and to open my heart to listening to Him instead of always talking to the Him.

Prayer isn't just about talking to Him. A big part is just listening. He has so much to say, but so few of us give Him that chance. We just ramble and go on and on about whatever. At least I do haha. 

So, to wrap everything up, being still and knowing is more than most people think. I see that this verse is taken for granted time and time again. It's a more 'common' one and so people don't really meditate on it. But I encourage you to meditate on it and listen. See what the Lord shows you and what areas in your life you need to 'be still'.

No comments:

Post a Comment