Tuesday, November 8, 2011

If you judge people....


....you have no time to love them.
-Mother Teresa

This is a bit of a vent post, I suppose. Not just about others, but about myself too. We are all guilty of judging. I see it almost everyday. I'm guilty of it more times than I like to think about.

People are constantly judging. They judge anything and everything. There is rarely a time someone won't find fault with another person.

But who are we to judge? Are you in their situation? Maybe you've been in a similar situation, or perhaps you feel you know exactly how they should act, but that gives no person the right to judge another. In reality, we are not that person.

There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?
James 4:12

Why does it feel so natural to judge? To look at another and fail to just love them for who they are? At the place they are at?

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.
Matthew 7:5

I know personally, I hate when people judge me. It stings and buries itself deep inside of me and haunts me. I love pleasing people. To upset and frustrate them, especially the ones I love the most, makes me disappointed in myself. I start questioning every choice I've made and replaying every situation in my mind to see where I went wrong. Which is horribly wrong in itself and is insecurity on my part. But, my point is, judging people, instead of loving them and encouraging them, can stick. And not in a good way.

But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”
John 8:7

Not one of us is without fault. We are all guilty of sin and messing up, whether we admit it or not. So really, what's the point of judging? To make ourselves feel like we are better for 'knowing' what to do? To demean others?

Instead of pointing the finger of judgment and acting like we know everything and exactly how to handle each situation, lets try to love. To accept. To help each other grow in the Lord and encourage one another to follow His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment