Thursday, September 8, 2011

A different set of lens


Perspective. Such a big word. Not only in writing but in meaning as well. My perspective on life and situations is more often than not, my own personal view. I fail to remember to look at the perspective of others. 'Put myself in their shoes', if you will.

When someone says or does something hurtful, I see the situation only through my eyes. I look at them with a pain filled vision and am so blinded by that, I don't see the rest of the story. I'm not excusing people for inappropriate or hurtful behavior, but maybe, if we grabbed a shovel and started digging deeper instead of only taking the surface as truth, it just might hurt a little less, wounds could be healed, and bridges built.

Or when I look at a person and see them only with a judgemental glaze, instead of allowing the Lord to show me what He sees and get a glimpse of them through His eyes. See a beauty that is hidden or harder to perceive. I miss out on an enormous blessing, because seeing someone through the eyes of their Creator is simply breathtaking. Even if it is just a glimpse.

Plato once said 'Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle'. Which is so incredibly true, and too often forgotten. What would happen if people stopped reacting to situations according to their own perspective, but instead, stepped back, and really and truly allowed themselves to look through another set of glasses.....

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,
    This is a great reminder! Have you been following Karen's blog? She posted about something similar recently.
    I completely agree with you. And we should talk soon!

    LOVE YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete